Review Detail

For Adoption CavyHouseCavyHouse April 08, 2012 1010
Re: Where to find cuy

Sally - I'm glad that the two cuy found a loving home with you. They can be quite sweet after getting lots of socializing. Most of the cuy that come into us are extremely skittish - very hard to catch, very strong, very frightened. Many do have gentle souls underneath once someone takes the time to work with them. I find them fascinating but they definitely are not for the average owner.

Most cuy are much harder to place than the average guinea pig because of their bigger size and strength. The ones we get here typically take 6 months to a year or more to place, which includes time for socializing. Many rescues in California are facing similar situations and we're finding that more and more of our available spots are taken up with the cuy, which decreases the space we have for the standard piggy. This has been quite a drain on a lot of our resources.

Because of all the guinea pigs in shelters needing homes, we never encourage breeding - and this is even more so for cuy. I'm sure in time the cuy will start appearing in your area. SO please don't breed them but instead look to local shelters or rescues for piggies.

Report this comment Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account